Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Business Analyst/Project Assistant to provide analysis for the Integrated Project Management Division. You will provide budget support in the execution of multiple construction projects, including developing and maintaining moderately complex budget reporting. This position is in the Project Management, Engineering and Construction Department.
- Retrieve and analyze ledger data and work with Project Managers to reconcile and specific allocation against costs within each work breakdown structure.
- Participate in a key role with Project/Program Managers and Resource Analysts to provide budget planning recommendations to meet strategic budget milestones.
- Provide specialized reporting in the form of financial information and project status used by senior management in the form of regular updates and institutional portfolio budget/cost tracking reports, charts and graphs.
- Review project charters and deferred maintenance with Project Managers to ensure accuracy and provide recommendations.
- Research and gather information (e.g., budget, duration, scope, justification, deferred maintenance, and energy savings) using specialized knowledge to be used in complex reporting documentation, audits, and presentations to Division, Department, and Directorate senior management.
- Independently address areas of concern with appropriate follow up to Project Manager or Division Leader.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant functional discipline or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience gathering, analyzing, evaluating and interpreting data (e.g., tracking project costs, energy savings, and deferred maintenance).
- Experience in a construction, facility or project management environment.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate within a team environment.
- Experience planning own work and prioritizing tasks.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills using related software for spreadsheets, word processing and graphics necessary to develop and implement specialized reporting requests.
- Demonstrated advanced problem solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions to complex problems.
- Experience facilitating functional business processes by providing a clear understanding and communicating expectations.
- Working knowledge of construction projects, operations, and terminology.
- Significant experience using Excel spreadsheets.
- Experience with Microsoft Project or Primavera.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.