Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Administrative Specialist. Under limited supervision, you will perform a full range of moderately difficult secretarial and task-oriented administrative assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
This position will be filled at either the 405.3 or 405.4 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
- Represent management and serve as a resource in daily routine matters; serve as a resource on organizational policies and procedures.
- Gather information from various sources, compile data and prepare complex reports and presentations.
- Independently compose correspondence for signature.
- Screen telephone calls, independently answer inquiries, make appropriate referrals, follow through on requests; review, prioritize and disseminate incoming mail.
- Independently schedule appointments and maintain calendars.
- Establish and maintain databases, spreadsheets and tracking/filing systems.
- Organize and coordinate meetings and small conferences.
- Arrange travel and itineraries.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 405.4 Level
- Generate correspondence on own initiative and compose correspondence for management signature which may be sensitive in nature.
- Serve as a resource and interpret organizational policies and procedures.
- Manage complex calendars which includes independently determining scheduling priorities.
- Secretarial and administrative knowledge and experience including accurate keyboarding, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills; advanced knowledge of office procedures, techniques, and methods.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow through.
- Experience working under limited supervision, in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse workforce and represent the organization with all levels of management, internal and external to the Laboratory, using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to identify and make recommendations for administrative problems.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and flexible, exercising discretion and mature judgment in handling business sensitive and/or classified information, as well as personnel interactions.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience arranging domestic and/or foreign travel.
In Addition at the 405.4 Level
- Experience working under minimal supervision, in a multitask environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Advanced knowledge compiling, tracking, monitoring, resolving, and reporting data and results with advanced organizational skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions to complex administrative problems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.