Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Division Superintendent in the Materials Engineering Division (MED). The Division maintains core capabilities in manufacturing, materials testing and characterization, nondestructive evaluation, precision engineering, photonics, bioengineering and micro/nanotechnology. You will oversee the management and leadership of a large and diverse workforce consisting of electronics and mechanical technical personnel including engineering associates, technologists, and coordinators who support multiple programs throughout the Laboratory. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Ensure performance standards and classification levels are consistently applied across the Division.
- Provide direction and oversight on personnel actions such as hiring, performance appraisals, ranking and salary administration, promotions, and corrective actions.
- Serve as a member on the Engineering Exempt Review Board to review candidates for entry into, and promotions within the exempt level series, and work closely with other Superintendents to manage workforce changes and assignments.
- Establish and implement succession and workforce planning goals for the technical workforce.
- Participate in workforce development including building and maintaining relationships with colleges and technical schools, as well as recruiting, mentoring, and career development of the technical staff.
- Participate in the formulation, interpretation, and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Ensure adherence to the Laboratory's ES&H regulations, security, business practices, diversity, and personnel policies and procedures.
- Perform the duties of the Division Safety Officer, including representing MED to the AD Assurance Office and leading the Division on safety related issues and work controls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Technology or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Highly advanced skills and significant experience in electronics and/or mechanical technology or related field.
- Significant knowledge of engineering non-exempt and exempt personnel, promotion process, and exempt review criteria.
- Significant experience in workforce planning, coaching and mentoring staff members, preparation of performance reviews, ranking, salary management, and hiring activities.
- Highly advanced written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated successful complex problem resolution and negotiating skills necessary to manage personnel issues in positive ways by communicating effectively, defusing conflicts, and overcoming setbacks.
- Experience leading safety walkthroughs, reviews, and understanding of an Institutional Tracking System and work control process.
- Experience interacting with division, department, and program level management.
- Experience working as a team member with professional and technical personnel or on an independent self-directed basis.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.