Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for an Engineering Design Associate to support the NIF&PS Directorate within the Department of Defense Technologies Program. You will work independently with general direction, establish scope of work, and provide advanced technical support with mechanical design. You will solve complex to highly complex technical problems, regularly collaborating with scientists, engineers, and high level technical personnel, both internal and external to NIF. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
- Apply innovative technical expertise to the development and design of complex NIF mechanical engineering, specifically with diode pumped lasers and their support systems.
- Capture design solutions in Creo Parametric and maintain documentation in the Windchill/ELM configuration management (CM) system.
- Present, author, critically review, and oversee the development of written documentation.
- Plan, organize, and lead multiple projects.
- Provide technical advice and direction to mentor and lead designers, making decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Provide leadership to group members.
- Participate in strategic planning, organization, and budgeting with senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant applied experience with Creo Parametric and AutoCAD.
- Experience working in Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software and/or CM system.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent technical decisions that may have significant consequences to broad segments and/or sections of a major project.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate both individual activities, and those of others, with multiple components requiring attention to detail, accuracy, and independent follow-through.
- Advanced technical and leadership skills.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience analyzing structural and flow conditions and associated mechanical detail drawings and demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements, and use creativity, independent discretion and judgment to provide original solutions to design problems with advanced drafting knowledge.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills and strong presentation skills.
- Leadership experience, developing staffing plans, performance reviews, promotional recommendations, and disciplinary actions.
- Experience with project management methods and tools.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.