Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Accounting Specialist 3 to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You will be responsible for the preparation, analysis, maintenance, and review of complex institutional accounting, financial, and reporting information. This position will report to the LLNS Corporate Controller/Division Leader for General Accounting and Compliance in the Finance Department.
- Analyze complex corporate accounting data and monthly prepare financial statements and reports for the LLC.
- Prepare journal entries and quarterly Treasurer’s reports and fee forecasts.Perform analysis and verification of financial reports and schedules and moderately complex balance sheet analysis and reconciliations.
- Assure services are appropriately aligned to meet parent company requirements and comply with the provisions of Contract 44, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable regulations, policies and procedures and achievement of Contract performance objectives.
- Identify and develop unique solutions to problems of unusual complexity, recommending and implementing course of action.
- Initiate preparation of certification statements pertaining to the LLC’s financial status.
- Research, recommend and/or implement changes to financial policies and procedures related to area of assignment.
- Participate in the review, analysis, and recommendation of changes or modifications to LLNL’s accounting processes and procedures. Respond to complex audit requests for supporting data.
- Make and communicate decisions, providing financial guidance related to ROS and corporate accounting requirements, policies, and procedures to other accountants, resource analysts, Procurement and LLNS Oversight personnel, and Laboratory managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field plus significant applicable work experience in accounting, finance, or auditing; or equivalent level of progressive competence obtained through professional-level experience, education, and training.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of accounting theory, interpreting and applying financial policies and procedures, financial systems analysis, and internal controls.
- Significant experience and knowledge of computer-based spreadsheets and report-generation applications (e.g., Microsoft Word and Excel), and commercial financial tools.
- Significant experience compiling and analyzing complex financial data and information and presenting to management.
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills to solve complex issues requiring mature judgment, discretion, and tact; and an ability to negotiate desirable outcomes.
- Demonstrated advanced interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) to tactfully and effectively establish and maintain working relationships with a broad cross-section of management and administrative personnel, and to create and present detailed and readily understood financial memos, briefings, and reports.
- Advanced organizational skills and flexibility to adapt to, and independently determine priorities, to respond to time-urgent requests, and to identify and resolve complex problems and meet deadlines.
- Advanced degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or a related field. CPA/CMA or CFE professional certification.
- Experience with Oracle Business Suite.
- Experience with Sage accounting package.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.