Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a technical engineering specialist. You will develop, compile, review and approve construction specifications, facility standards, and other department documentation. This position is in the Project Management, Engineering and Construction (PMEC) Department.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods, using independent judgment to recommend and implement improvements/processes.
- Write, edit, and provide document control for construction specifications created from templates, manuals, engineering and maintenance standards, equipment procurement specifications, safety documents, and facility and infrastructure policies, procedures, and guides.
- Review and approve material prepared by structural, civil, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and design engineers to ensure documents meet engineering standards.
- Review technical drawings and specifications to ensure adherence to scopes of work and production of complete construction specification packages.
- Develop documents and spreadsheets to track technical information and process information and develop process-flow diagrams.
- Contribute to developing scopes of work, obtaining technical information, and providing information for procurement requisitions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Provide solutions to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Guide the successful completion of projects, organize, streamline, and update the facility master specification templates to facilitate ease of usability and minimize need to edit for individual projects. Review project construction specifications for release to construction subcontractors.
- Mentor coworkers on the development of construction specifications and engineering standards, and writing style and language.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant functional discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction documents and experience in technical editing and production of construction specifications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry codes, regulations, and standards and demonstrated ability to interpret drawings and apply the required regulations and codes.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent technical work.
- Experience using editing and writing techniques for a variety of media, including comprehensive knowledge of technical language, usage, and style conventions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, and present and explain technical information.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills necessary to identify the strengths and weaknesses and provide alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems, and effectively communicate solutions to others.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of complex construction documents and significant experience editing technical documents and advanced knowledge of editing/writing techniques for a variety of media including advanced knowledge of technical language, usage and style conventions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead independent work of other team members.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and advise management
- California licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Licensed Architect.
- Experience using CSI MasterFormat and SectionFormat.
- Experience with records management systems, version control, and databases in dynamic website development.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.