Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Electronics Fabrication Technologist. You will provide technical support to operations of new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 532.2 or 532.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Utilize schematic drawing, parts list, and assembly drawing to convert requirements into specific hardware deliverables and estimates.
- Install, evaluate, test, and debug chassis and/or rack equipment and assemblies.
- Install and test network infrastructure and equipment.
- Install cable trays and mounting hardware as required using hand and power tools.
- Log and report activities and tasks as required using time reporting software.
- Operate a forklift, scissor-lift, and man-lift in association with work activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 532.3 Level
- Propose solutions and alternate approaches to solve moderately complex electro-mechanical fabrication installation problems and tasks and seek engineering or supervisor support for clarification.
- Generate estimates, provide work instruction and lead teams to accomplish fabrication, modification, and installation of network and electro-mechanical systems and components based on layouts, diagrams, and verbal instruction.
- Provide advanced fabrication support on experimental apparatus using standard machine tools, hand tools, soldering techniques, and test and measurement equipment.
- Associate’s degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing Technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience installing and testing wired and wireless network infrastructure including Cat5e, single and multi-mode fiber optics and access points.
- Intermediate understanding of the fabrication, modification, and installation of network and electro-mechanical systems and components.
- Experience working in a customer service/field support environment.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze, negotiate, and solve problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
- Willingness to comply with Safety, ES&H, Security, and business management policies and regulations.
In Addition at the 532.3 Level
- Advanced understanding of and experience in translating electrical, electronic, and mechanical drawings into working estimates including both time and materials required.
- Ability to lead work teams and train coworkers to complete tasks safely and efficiently while producing high quality results.
- Experience with installation and testing of systems and equipment in accordance with building codes.
- Current or previous industry recognized certification in fiber optic terminations.
- Experience with a variety of machine tools including band saw, drill press, press brake, shear, mill, lathe, grinder, table saw, and tap bench; experience with silk screen and powder coat equipment and operation.
- Working knowledge of CAD software.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.