Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Drafter. You will support engineering, scientific, and technical staff by providing design and documentation of equipment, apparatus, infrastructure, systems, and processesas part of the design team to support maintenance and operations of the National Ignition Facility & Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will perform a range of tasks for the assigned work unit using a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software, and CAD software Creo Parametric 3.0. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division, of the Engineering Directorate.
- Develop documentation utilizing CAD and the PTC Windchill PLM software while learning and implementing LLNL business practices under close supervision.
- Provide basic technical support with minimal consequence of error with close direction and authorization by immediate technical lead.
- Utilize Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle Management (CAD/PLM) systems, other software and equipment to prepare design concepts, layouts, detail drawings, calculations, graphics, and other design data utilized in accomplishing work objectives.
- Prepare sketches, detail, assembly, pictorial, or electronic representations of mechanical parts, apparatus, test assemblies, and equipment.
- Use established guidelines, techniques, and procedures to complete CAD tasks.
- Acquire and analyze basic data, solve basic technical problems, and report results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in Drafting or Certificate in Engineering Technology-Drafting, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Basic knowledge of CAD/PLM practices, techniques, standards and procedures in preparing drawings and CAD objects.
- Basic knowledge of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard through a formal training process.
- Basic knowledge of discipline-related technologies.
- Experience working with CAD systems and basic knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with PTC Creo Parametric 3.0 and PTC Windchill PLM software.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, standard drafting practices, and manufacturing processes.
- Basic knowledge of machine shop practices and fabrication techniques.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.