Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have several openings for a High School student to work in support of ongoing Engineering projects. You will work directly with a technical supervisor, who will manage day-to-day assignments, review work, and be available for assistance. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations Division in support of the National Ignition Facility & Photon Sciences Directorate.
- Work with engineers, scientists and technical staff members to support projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, computational engineering, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Participate in gathering and analyzing data or information in support of scientific research.
- Compile relevant documentation.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited high school pursuing a high school diploma.
- School experience or interest in Engineering, Optics, Physics, or related discipline.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to work under moderate direction within scope of the assignment to achieve the specific goals.
- Verbal and written communication skills sufficient to identify problems, pose questions, and report results.
- Ability to interact effectively with coworkers and managers in performing assigned tasks.
- Proficiency in keyboarding, using automated tools, and personal computing.
- Knowledge of calibration hardware and equipment for alignment systems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.