Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
The Physics Division at LLNL offers high school students the opportunity to engage in practical work experience to further their educational goals. Opportunities include research in astronomy and astrophysics, statistics and data science, and high-performance computing.
We have an opening for a high school student to work in the Physics Division of the Physical and Life Sciences organization. You will be working full time conducting research in astronomy and astrophysics, statistics and data science, and high-performance computing.
- Students will work with scientists doing data analysis, computer programming, and mathematical modeling research projects.
- Under close supervision, will participate in related work in the assigned area.
- Will meet regularly with a project supervisor to perform a research project.
- Will create research work products to include reports, graphs, or software.
- May give a presentation based on the work completed.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Must be currently admitted or enrolled in an accredited high school pursuing a high school diploma.
- School experience or interest in math and science.
- Proven academic achievement.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to work under moderate direction within scope of the assignment to achieve the specific goals.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, and a mathematical understanding of Excel.
- Verbal and written skills necessary to communicate with staff and document work.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.