Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Argus system administrator to provide highly advanced technical computer support for unclassified and/or classified systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. You will be responsible for installing, configuring, securing and maintaining systems, as well as loading layered products and troubleshooting system problems. This position is in the IT Systems, Services, and Support (ITSSS) Division within the Computation Directorate, matrixed to Security Organization (SO) in the Embedded Computer Support Unit (CSU).
- Independently resolve complex problems and suggest original solutions by providing in-depth analysis of computer security requirements for the Security Organization systems, including scanning, remediation and reporting.
- Acquire and analyze complex system data and report results, identify problems and implement solutions.
- Develop tools and/or utilities to enhance Security Organization IT systems.
- Develop and advise division management of long term highly advanced plans and strategies for maintaining the operational viability and functionality of the Security Organization IT systems, including communicating issues, plans, and strategies to Security Organization management, customers, and end-users.
-Direct complex troubleshooting and support efforts.
-Support, interface and cooperate with cross functional groups, including working with end users to understand their needs and provide guidance, and advanced technical assistance to the user community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise in one or more of the following IT disciplines: systems administration, network administration, database administration and computer security management.
- Experience working with customers at all levels of the organization to gather requirements and provide technical guidance.
- Extensive experience installing, troubleshooting, repairing, and administering enterprise-level production information systems, as well as Windows and Linux operating systems or servers.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines and high pressure associated with operating a critical, complex system.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills necessaryto effectively collaborate with other team members and to present and explain technical information to management.
- Experience in virtual server, virtual desktop infrastructures, network security including hardware/software encryption, firewall administration, and intrusion detection.
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call (intermittently either as needed or as part of a rotation) and ability to secure and maintain an SCI clearance.
- Experience using Active Directory Tools to effectively manage an AD environment
- Experience installing, configuring, using, maintaining, and debugging Linux, including writing BASH scripts and Oracle RDBMS.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of physical security, digital video, switching, recorders and MPEG protocols.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.