Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Administrative Specialist. You will perform a full range of moderately difficult to difficult secretarial and task-oriented administrative assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 405.3 or 405.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Under limited direction, provide administrative support to the LSEO Office Manager for hiring and recruitment activities; interview scheduling, applicant badging for onsite interviews, interviewee packets, interviewee evaluations forms, upload listings and applicants, Summer Scholar coordination, and submittals/renewals for Visiting Scientists & Professionals (VSP) participants.
- Maintain databases, electronic file systems, spreadsheets, and reports for the Engineering Directorate.
- Respond to administrative inquiries from division management; coordinate special activities and meetings to implement these activities.
- Manage calendars and determine scheduling priorities; may determine attendees.
- Screen telephone calls and answer inquiries and make referrals.
- Keyboard administrative and scientific material including correspondence, documents, presentations, tables, charts, and reports.
- Arrange domestic and foreign travel; process expense vouchers; take initiative to resolve issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 405.4 level
- Generate correspondence on own initiative and compose administrative or personnel material of a sensitive nature for signature.
- Coordinate daily administrative operations for task responsibilities specific to LSEO, making decisions of moderate to high impact on day-to-day operations.
- Serve as a resource and interpret organizational policies and procedures.
- Secretarial and administrative skills including accurate keyboarding, editing, use of grammar, and proofreading skills.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow through.
- Experience working under limited supervision, in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Experience tracking, compiling, and monitoring complex data and results.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience functioning effectively as a team member, as well as independently.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse workforce and represent the organization with all levels of management, internal and external to the Laboratory, using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
In Addition at the 405.4 level
- Advanced experience compiling, tracking, monitoring, resolving, and reporting data and results with advanced organizational skills and experience working under minimal supervision, in a multitask environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and flexible, exercising a high degree of discretion and mature judgment in handling complex business sensitive and personnel information.
- Demonstrated advanced customer service skills and advanced written and verbal communication skills to interact effectively with all level of personnel in a scientific environment.
- Knowledge of the Engineering Directorate.
- Knowledge of LAPIS, LHire, and LEAP applications.
- Knowledge of FileMaker Pro and SharePoint applications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.