Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for Group Leaders. You will provide leadership for R&D activities in Advanced BioManufacturing and BioEngineering. You will have a meaningful role in developing successful careers, building a positive working environment, and developing an extraordinary staff to meet program needs. In addition to the Group Leader role, you will be expected to maintain a technical programmatic project assignment within the division. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide leadership, administrative direction, and supervision to group members in the execution of their work scope.
- Supervise and provide administrative policy mentorship to group members, write performance appraisals, and participate in the MED division ranking and salary management processes.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Center Leaders and Section Leaders to identify and lead the work assignments for the group members, define work objectives, and obtain ongoing performance feedback.
- Advise and evaluate staff on the execution of technical work and facilitate periodic career development discussions.
- Identify networking opportunities, technical and non-technical growth areas, training and mentoring needs, and opportunities for group personnel.
- Set specific technical strategy and direction for team and identify staffing needs necessary to support Laboratory programs.
- Monitor and influence the work environment to develop employee morale and well-being; recruit, hire, and retain outstanding technical staff.
- Guide the completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Optical/Electrical/Mechanical/Chemical/Bio Engineering, Material Science, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more of the following areas: advanced materials, design and fabrication of devices such as microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), bioengineering, and micro and nanostructures.
- Significant experience giving technical presentations and participating in reviews, identifying technical needs, developing practical approaches, and delivering working solutions for program customers.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Demonstrated people skills, such as mentoring, great outcome for everyone negotiating, team building, customer service, work supervision, and/or project leadership.
- PhD in Optical/Electrical/Mechanical/Chemical/Bio Engineering, Material Science, or related field.
- Experience in payroll supervision, preparation of performance appraisals, ranking and salary management, and knowledge of Engineering Directorate policies and procedures.
- Experience with LLNL and Engineering administrative policies, procedures, and design safety practices and standards.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.