Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Special Security Officer (SSO) to provide complex and dynamic security support to a variety of LLNL, DOE and customer missions. This position reports to the Field Intelligence Element (FIE) Director within the Global Security (GS) Principal Directorate.
-Oversee and manage Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) and classified information security requirements, functions, operating procedures and all personnel and physical security responsibilities for all LLNL SCIFs and FIE activities.
- Perform day to day security management of all SCI and SCIF operations at the Laboratory.
- As an appointed DOE Inquiry Official, investigate
s, report s, provide s recommended corrective actions, and oversees implementation of those corrective actions for Incidents of Security Concern on behalf of the FIE Director and Director of Security for DOE IN.
- Control officer for several SCI programs, additional special compartmented programs, and intelligence-related special access programs (SAPs) that have been established under U.S. government regulations.
s with Information Systems Security Officers, Senior Counterintelligence Officers, Communications Security Officers and other personnel to ensure security of SCI, SCIFs, and the information systems housed therein.
- Remain cognizant of evolving SCI security policies and procedures; solve
s unique and highly sensitive security problems; and recommend s, prioritize s, and oversee s improvements to practices.
- Prepare and review security plans and lead or conduct inspections, audits, self- assessments, and other work activities related to physical and personnel security for SCIFs, FIE members, and SCI holders. Maintain and develop compliance records and/or corrective action plans.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Security or related field or equivalent combination of education and training in a security discipline(s) and related security experience performing work independently.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience applying IC practices/policies and security requirements in a classified environment; along with advanced knowledge of orders and regulations related to SCI facilities and SCI control systems.
- Experience conducting and leading assessments and investigations, physical security assessments and developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Experience supervising and leading a team of security professionals to meet mission requirements.
- Experience developing and writing clear and concise assessments, corrective action plans, policies, procedures and reports.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge and understanding of IC requirements for the protection of IC sources and methods.
- Advanced experience in developing, implementing and administering security requirements in physical, technical, information, personnel and cyber security; including analyzing and interpreting policies and directives, writing and reviewing security plans, standard operating procedures, and conduct of operations documents for SCI and Special Access Programs.
- Advanced experience in providing contractor program security officer (CPSO) support to IC and other government agencies.
- Experience as an Alternate Special Security Officer (ASSO) or Special Security Officer (SSO).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.