Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Nuclear and Hazardous Operations Manager to support the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate facilities responsible for managing nuclear and explosives facility operations in support of LLNL programmatic missions. This position is in the Nuclear and Hazardous Operations Program.
- Develop and establish strategic objectives and long-term goals for the WCI nuclear and high explosives facilities that ensure efficient and effective operations.
- Partner with the operations, engineering, and maintenance organizations across LLNL to establish a framework to continually assess, prioritize and execute both short and long-term institutional needs that will ensure the viability of the WCI facilities.
- Provide expert advice, counsel and assistance to the WCI Deputy Principle Associate Directorate (DPAD) Operations in developing both a tactical and strategic approach for integrating personnel, resources, facility, and equipment investments consistent with the WCI programmatic mission.
- Provide oversight to succession planning and career development strategies across the institution and manage succession planning and career development within the WCI facilities.
- Represent the PAD on institutional oversight and action-oriented committee, comprised of senior management, both internal and external, and pertaining to operations, facilities, security, and ES&H.
- Manage the work processes for Integrated Safety Management, and Environmental Safety, Health and Quality within WCI facilities and manage operational performance for the assigned annual Performance Evaluation and Measurement Plan (PEMP) elements.
- Influence senior management and stakeholders inthe development and integration of business and operational policies and procedures to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manage and direct the operations of WCI facilities through facility managers and work control and planning managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the appropriate scientific, engineering or related technical field or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience with high hazard facilities, including but not limited to, design, construction, commissioning, operating, maintaining, repairing, modifying, replacing, and decommissioning/disposal.
- Extensive leadership and management experience over a large-scale, mission-oriented organization consisting of multiple organizations with varying levels of oversight and management required.
- Extensive experience managing operations, including but not limited to, facilities, human resources, procurement, and ES&H within a large, multi-disciplined organization.
- Extensive experience with safety policies and procedures to identify hazardous conditions and operations with proven ability to take appropriate action to correct or eliminate the hazard and to assure appropriate procedures, training, equipment, warnings, tools and resources are provided to personnel.
- Extensive experience in organizational problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend and develop solutions on a wide variety of management-level technical and operational issues.
- Extensive experience and comprehensive knowledge of management practices in planning, overseeing and executing budgets and a proven ability to effectively balance operational and budget priorities to achieve desired results.
- Expert communication skills, over a wide range of topic areas, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, facilitate, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management, to both internal and external organizations such as DOE, NNSA, etc.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).