Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a NIF Lead Operator. You will establish scope of work, provide technical support, lead laser shot operations, supervise facility and system maintenance, and serve as facility point of contact to support the Shot Operations organization in the NIF & Photon Sciences Directorate. You will be required to solve complex technical problems, and regularly collaborate with scientists, engineers and senior technical personnel. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide advanced Electronics and Laser Electro-Optics technical support to scientists, engineers, and senior technical experts for the NIF laser systems.
- Participate in complex laser systems, operations, and maintenance strategies.
- Solve complex technical problems and report results with general direction.
- Provide innovative technical expertise to the operation of a high-average power/energy laser system.
- Provide technical advice and direction to mentor and lead technicians, making decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Participate in strategic planning, organization, and budgeting with senior staff.
- May require overtime, shift and/or weekend-work, alternate work schedules to respond to facility needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in electronics or laser electro-optics technology or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and experience leading operations and maintenance activities in a large (megawatt) laser facility.
- Experience directing personnel performing precision laser alignment, beam characterization, data collection, shot operations, and maintenance activities.
- Ability to make frequent decisions using independent discretion and judgment to provide original solutions to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced technical (electronics and/or electro-optic) and leadership skills.
- Experience providing technical direction to others.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment effectively with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and strong presentation skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience in laser safety in a shot operations environment.
- Experience interacting with and satisfying customer needs in a highly technical setting.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.