Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee to work with the Microbiology/Immunology group applying synthetic biology technologies to the study of microbial communities as they relate to their environment. You will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop, optimize, and apply methods for bioremediation-based exploration of microorganisms combining microbiological culturing, sample extraction, molecular biology, and cellular marker detection techniques. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Prepare microbiological growth medium.
- Culture microorganisms.
- Extract and manipulate DNA and protein from biological samples.
- Perform molecular biology techniques including PCR, DNA quantification, recombinant DNA technologies, protein quantification, and Western blotting.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook and maintain complete records of experiments.
- Ensure that all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent BS in biological or physical science or related field.
- Experience with typical microbiology and molecular biology laboratory instruments and techniques.
- Knowledge of the techniques and analyses required for PCR, recombinant DNA, and protein expression.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment with a diverse technical staff and ability to multi-task with a team on multiple time constrained projects.
- Ability to follow standard laboratory protocols and ES&H safety procedures.
- Experience using personal computers, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
- Analytical, record-keeping and organizational skills necessary for working in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to travel to collaborator labs.
- Experience working with Risk Group 2 organisms in a biosafety cabinet.
- Experience with antibody-based fluorescence biomarker detection.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.