Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Department of Defense Technologies (DoDT) Program Director. You will be responsible for managing approximately 100 scientists, engineering, and technicians, in all aspects of DoDT strategy and business development, partnerships, and technology investment deliverables. You will be responsible for financial oversight, development and management of DoD Technology Programs and the oversight of safety and security in DoD-related laboratory activities. You will work with senior management, and various external sponsors to ensure successful project execution. This position is in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate and reports to the Principal Associate Director.
- Lead and manage the Department of Defense Technologies (DoDT) Program, this includes establishing objectives and long-range goals, developing and implementing operational policies, ensuring budgets, schedules and performance standards are attained, to ensure the safe, secure, and successful execution of NIF&PS project deliverables for the DoD and related sponsors.
- Develop and execute DoDT Program strategies to ensure attainment of Laboratory mission deliverables. Develop strategic business opportunities; identify key enabling technologies and technology investment opportunities.
- Manage and oversee program personnel through technical area leads, technical managers, and a multidisciplinary staff of scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Provide financial oversight, development and management of an annual budget of approximately $80 million in DoDT Programs.
- Develop sponsor relationships, funding opportunities, and Statement of Work (SOW) negotiations of DoD Programs in NIF&PS.
- Influence future investments of the Laboratory, other federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs), DoD services laboratories, and the private sector in the pursuit of solutions to DoD mission requirements.
- Responsible for the general oversight and personal commitment to the goals of Integrated Safety Management, Integrated Safeguards and Security Management, compliance with all ES&H regulations, good business practices, diversity and equal opportunity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Science or related technical field or equivalent combination of education and related experience resolving complex problems and developing, planning and coordinating solutions..
- Extensive experience developing and managing budgets, and managing and directing a large, diverse multidisciplinary team of people in a research and development environment.
- Expert leadership and management skills and extensive experience directing Technical Staff Leaders and Technical Managers to champion, innovative, lead, direct, and influence the development and achievement of institutional goals and objectives.
- Extensive experience collaborating and negotiating effectively at high levels within internal and external organizations and constituencies, as well as maintaining effective working relationships.
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker who anticipates the needs of a large, diverse community and formulates and executes decisions within the framework of an organization’s strategic direction.
- Extensive experience with safety and security policies and procedures to identify hazardous conditions and operations with proven ability to take appropriate action to correct or eliminate the hazard to assure appropriate procedures, training, equipment, warnings, and tools and resources are provided to personnel.
- Expert verbal and written communications skills facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors (such as the Department of Energy, Department of Defense and constituents), on a wide-range of topic areas.
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Science or related technical field.
- Extensive technical experience of programs related to the DoD technology programs.
- Knowledge of Laboratory programs, policies and procedures.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.