Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to provide self-consistent, high-precision and time dependent fission product-yield data. You will develop techniques for producing fission products at relevant quantities using appropriate monoenergetic neutron and photon beams at accelerator facilities, associated with fast spectroscopy methods for measuring the energy dependence of the yields for more than two dozen fission products, with half-lives ranging from seconds to hours on targets of interest. This position is in the Nuclear and Particle group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Perform experimental methods and analysis approaches needed to precisely measure and interpret fission product-yield data on actinide targets at accelerator-based nuclear facilities.
- Perform and construct an automated transfer system for measuring short-lived (seconds to minutes) fission products.
- Perform experimental measurements, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future nuclear physics experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, nuclear engineering, radiochemistry, or related field.
- Ability to develop independent research projects and find innovation solution as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Experience in designing, assembling, and running nuclear science experiments at accelerator-based neutron and photon facilities.
- Experience with fission ionization chambers, charged-particle and gamma-ray spectroscopy measurements and their associated data analyses.
- Experience in experimental nuclear science to help solve a variety of programmatic challenges in national security, with experience in data analysis and interpretation.
- Experience in Fortran, C, C++, or equivalent computer programming languages.
- Experience performing analysis using ROOT, MCNP or GEANT.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.