Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a National Ignition Facility (NIF) Shot Director. You will join a team of Shot Directors who are responsible for directing and coordinating the 24/7 operations of the integrated laser and experimental systems of the National Ignition Facility. You will be responsible for the successful execution of complex target experiments in the NIF facility, as well as for ensuring that all activities conducted by operations and experimental personnel, including operators, technicians, scientists, and engineers, are performed safely in accordance with NIF’s integrated safety program. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the TSL.3 or TSL.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and supervision of the operations of large-scale, complex, integrated systems critical to the successful execution of scientific experiments on NIF.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, and supervision to the lead operator and control room personnel during operation of the laser and experimental systems.
- Collaborate with and provide technical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of experimental support personnel including scientists, engineers, operators, and technicians.
- Contribute to experimental campaign planning and scheduling; communicate facility and experimental plans to the control room operators and staff.
- Contribute to the computer controls design and production organization to continuously improve the control system software; participate in design reviews and change review board activities for proposed additions or changes to facility hardware and software.
- Support 24 hour per day, 7 day per week operations, working various shifts as required; perform responsibilities of the Facility Point of Contact and Emergency Manager during off shifts.
- Coordinate facility maintenance, installation, and construction activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSL.4 Level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems where a high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches. Solutions require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Under consultative direction, evaluates control room performance with quantifiable metrics and proposes improvements to enhance efficiency and productivity. Provide expert level guidance to NIF operations.
- Perform responsibilities of Facility Point of Contact and Emergency Manager during off shifts.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work.
- Advanced knowledge in science or engineering as it relates to implementation of integrated, complex, and largescale systems.
- Significant experience in the management of operations for large and complex technical systems operated by multidisciplinary teams.
- Significant experience managing and executing an integrated safety management system.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage personnel conflicts and maintain high morale in a demanding and dynamic environment.
- Experience leading a team and/or group effectively in a fast-paced, high pressure, complex, multidisciplinary team environment, working across organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated leadership skills for leading and managing small, multidisciplinary teams.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management, personnel and stakeholders.
In Addition at the TSL.4 Level
- Extensive experience and/or training leading the operation of a large complex scientific facility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and vendors.
-Demonstrated knowledge of laser physics, large laser systems, electro-optics, large optical systems, laser alignment and diagnostics.
- Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Physics, or related field.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.