Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for Process Control Systems Engineers to participate in the development and implementation of distributed process control systems for a variety of large research and development projects such as radar, accelerator and laser-based systems.in support of national security missions. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate at LLNL.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Develop moderately complex to complex system control strategies and applications.
- Develop LabVIEW applications for supervisory, automated processing and/or device level controls.
- Ensure that Engineering safety standards are met on all projects.
- Document all designs and implement software under configuration management.
- Refine and manage the system requirement specifications and control software design.
- Participate in formal and informal code and design reviews.
- Maintain a close interface with the various programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Work as a team member with physicists, engineers, computer scientists, and external vendors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Independently research and provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis to advance the architecture of the control system.
- Develop complex applications in LabVIEW and other suitable technologies and deploy systems into the lab and the field.
- Utilize advanced knowledge to develop, design, implement complex software; develop and execute test plans, guide the completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in development of embedded controls, data acquisition and computer interfacing.
- Experience with the application, use, and programming of moderately complex to complex real time control systems.
- Experience with the systems and software engineering process for generation of requirements, design documents, configuration control, and preparation of test plans and user documentation utilizing broadly defined principles.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment, which includes working with scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of or certification in LabVIEW development by National Instruments.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with real-time controls hardware and timing systems.
- Significant experience in the development of complex control system architectures.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Experience in object-oriented programming design and languages (e.g., C++, Java).
- Knowledge of robotics, instrumentation, and process engineering.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.