Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for Laborers. You will perform skilled and advanced laborer duties and skilled duties such as asbestos and lead abatement. You will operate heavy equipment for maintenance, repair, and construction of buildings, streets and grounds. These positions are in the Facilities and Infrastructure Department.
- Perform skilled labor duties in the construction, maintenance, abatement, clean-up, and repair of buildings, streets, fences, and grounds.
- Perform skilled labor duties in the operation of heavy equipment (Class "B" and "C" type motor vehicles, forklifts, street sweepers, dumpster trucks, etc.) used in building and maintaining of roads, fire trails, parking lots and associated drainage; digging trenches for utilities and excavating for structural foundations.
- Perform cement finishing and setting forms, asphalt work repairs overlays and new construction of roadways, walkways, parking lots and paths.
- Perform pre-inspection and safe use of all plant equipment and tools of the trade.
- Prepare standard reports, permit requirements, deficiency forms and service/work requests. Input time daily and complete training courses using a personal computer and/or mobile devices.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with Environmental, Safety, and Health (ES&H) regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Intermediate to advance skills, knowledge and abilities in skilled labor tasks and experience performing journey level skilled labor duties.
- Experience with the use and operation of heavy equipment used to maintain, repair and install buildings, roads, fire trails, parking lots, and associated drainage, digging trenches for utilities, excavating for structure, foundations, hauling earth, gravel and contaminated materials, and moving and lifting heavy object.
- Experience in cement finishing and setting forms, asphalt work repairs, overlays and new construction of roadways, walkways, parking lots and path.
- Experience performing routine tasks, such as cleaning and preparing the worksite and unloading materials. Basic skills in the application of ES&H laws and regulations.
- Effective customer service, interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with others.
- Proven ability to effectively write reports and complete forms. Knowledge of computers and mobile devices for preparing reports, work orders, completing forms, training and timekeeping.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class B Driver's License within 6 months of hire. Ability to become medically qualified to wear protective equipment, and ability to work in confined spaces.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.