Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform research in the area of neutrino physics and advanced detector development. You will participate in the PROSPECT short-baseline reactor antineutrino experiment and a new project designing advanced detectors that leverage additive manufacturing of scintillator. This position is in the Rare Event Detection group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Participate in the ongoing analysis of the PROSPECT experiment.
- Design, simulate and prototype new scintillator detectors.
- Publish results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Attend collaboration meetings.
- Guide collaboration work and influence collaboration priorities.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research and develop solutions in support of these projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in nuclear physics, particle physics, or a related field.
- Experience in neutrino physics and/or scintillation detector design.
- Experience performing independent research on complex technical hardware and software tasks, provide in-depth analyses, and develop technical solutions.
- Experience with Geant4 and optical tracking simulations.
- Experience with the C++ programming language.
- Proficient written, verbal, and organizational skills necessary to effectively collaborate within small and large work groups.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.