Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee to support research in diagnostic development for pulsed power and hydrodynamic experimental platforms. You will work under the guidance of staff members where you will further develop your research skills by submersion in a state-of-the-art research environment. This position is in the Energy Manipulation Technology Group of the National Security Engineering Division.
- Perform and support diagnostic research and development activities in the fields of pulsed power and hydrodynamic experimentation.
- Participate in the development, design, implementation, and execution of relevant diagnostics and the associated data acquisition systems. Relevant diagnostics include (but are not limited to) electromagnetic sensors, fast optical interferometers (Photonic Doppler Velocimetry (PDV) or Broadband Laser Ranging, (BLR)), and fiber-based magnetooptical sensors (Faraday rotation).
- Perform data analysis of data recorded using the aforementioned diagnostics. Document analyzed data in written technical reports.
- Develop numerical models using scientific computing tools (MATLAB, Python, C++, Mathematica, etc.) to predict and analyze the dynamic behavior of experiments and/or diagnostics.
- Present informal progress reports to your mentor and peers on a regular basis.
- Perform and document timing measurements for diagnostic systems.
- Learn to use (and apply) relevant commercial and/or LLNL proprietary simulation software to understand or predict experimental results.
- Work safely and efficiently on multiple projects in laboratory environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent BS or BA degree in a relevant field of physical science, including (but not limited to) physics, applied physics, electrical engineering, materials science, or optical engineering.
- Experience analyzing experimental data using a scientific computing language (MATLAB, Python, C++, Mathematica, or similar).
- Knowledge of general laboratory fundamentals and best practices.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate technical information effectively with technicians, peers, and managers.
- Experience operating PC and/or Macintosh computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, technicians and other technical and administrative staff.
- Experience analyzing 2D data (photographic imagery, spectrograms, etc.).
- Experience with lasers, optical fibers, and/or optical interferometers.
- Experience with data acquisition systems and the associated instrumentation. Experience developing and operating Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs) with Labview.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's degree at the time of the employment offer.