Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Explosives Training Manager to work within regulatory requirements and operational demand and use his/her knowledge of explosives and instructional methodology to manage the LLNL Explosives Handler Training Program. You will also interface with the DOE explosives community to support both on-site and off-site work. This position is in the Nuclear and Hazardous Operations Program.
- Represent the Explosives Safety Committee (ESC) in managing all aspects of explosives training for the LLNL explosives handler population, including writing performance-based training/instructional design methodology, including writing institutional policy.
- Act as the Chairperson of the Explosives Safety Committee (ESC) training subcommittee and explosives certification boards.
- Partner with facility, programmatic, and training personnel to ensure the training program meets operational needs at LLNL work locations while simultaneously meeting LLNL Training Program Manual and DOE Explosives Safety Standard requirements.
- Design, develop, and produce complex explosives training curricula using a spectrum of instructional methods and media, including print, video, instructor-led, and/or multi-media/online.
- Manage third-party vendors and their training materials to ensure compliance with operational and regulatory requirements.
- Facilitate and deliver technical/explosives training as required, both on and off-site.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the program and plan corrective actions as needed.
- Manage the Explosives Handler Certification Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Training and Development, Management, Explosives Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the safe management and handling of explosives in large and small quantities.
- Advanced experience training and coaching others in the safe management and handling of explosives.
- Advanced experience using computer software applications enlisted for training development.
- Advanced analytical, decision making and project planning skills.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to manage scientific and technical communications across multidisciplinary teams.
- Advanced interpersonal, leadership and team building skills necessary to clarify issues and resolve problems with tact, discretion, and mature judgment.
- Working knowledge of DOE-STD 1212 Explosives Safety.
- Experience designing and developing training programs in a regulated environment.
- Experience managing qualification processes in a high-risk technical environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.