Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in the area of energetic high-power laser technology with focus on high power semiconductor laser research and development. You will perform their research in support of ongoing and future advanced diode-pumped laser development at LLNL. This position is in the Advanced Photon Technologies (APT) program in the NIF and Photon Science (NIF&PS) directorate.
- Conduct advanced research on high power semiconductor lasers.
- Plan and execute laboratory experiments to improve understanding of semiconductor laser physics.
- Design, build, and test laboratory experimental setups for performing advanced characterization of high power semiconductor diode lasers.
- Perform optical, electronic, and thermal modelling in support of experimental efforts.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of researchers internally and externally.
- Work within a dynamic team to coordinate resources, plan experimental campaigns, document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Laser Physics, Applied Physics, General Physics, or Optics and Optoelectronics, or related field or discipline.
- Experience conducting laboratory experiments in one or more of the following areas: optoelectronic devices, semiconductor lasers, light emitting diodes, nonlinear optics, diode-pumped solid-state lasers, diode-pumped fiber lasers, imaging or non-imaging optics.
- Knowledge of and experience with semiconductor device physics, computational physics, laser science and optics, and/or basic statistics as it applies to the design of experiments and data analysis.
- Experience with optical, electronic, and thermal modelling in support of experimental efforts.
- Experience planning experimental campaigns.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multi-disciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports, publications, and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience with optoelectronic device simulation (LaserMOD, LASTIP, PICS3D, Silvaco and/or self-written code) and/or optical system design and analysis using sequential and/or non-sequential raytracing tools (Zemax, Code V, OSLO, FRED, LightTools, or ASAP).
- Experience with electromagnetic field simulation using finite-difference time domain, finite element, finite element thermal simulation (e.g. COMSOL, ANSYS, and/or self-written code), and/or beam propagation simulation tools (FIMMWave, BeamPROP, etc., and/or self-written code).
- Experience with CAD-based mechanical design (e.g. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, etc.) and test equipment control and automation software development (LabVIEW, Python, MATLAB, etc.).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a 1 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.