Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have openings for Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the areas of ICF and HED physics, laboratory astrophysics, plasma physics, high intensity laser-matter interactions, nuclear science, and high-pressure physics. Areas of active research are laser-plasma instabilities, deep nonlinear hydrodynamic instabilities in compressible media and other compressible turbulent phenomena, the response of solids at extreme pressure and strain rate, high Mach-number shocks, radiation, heat and particle transport in plasmas, x-ray spectroscopy, diffraction and scattering. This position is in the High Energy Density Scientific and Technology (HED S&T) Program in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate optical, x-ray and nuclear diagnostics.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, nuclear physics, dynamic material science, or related discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, nuclear physics or high energy density experiments.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
- Experience with laser or pulsed power sources.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.