Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Director’s Office Directorate, Office of the General Counsel, has an opening for a Patent Legal Assistant to assist patent attorneys in the Office of the General Counsel. The selected candidate will, with minimal supervision, perform patent administrative duties of moderate-to-high complexity to support the patent counsel and the Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO).
- Prepare and process all patent prosecution documents, gather, clarify and disseminate information and coordinate patent portfolios.
- Perform routine research to gather relevant rules and regulations in areas of intellectual property, patent and trademark.
- Maintain patent database, prepare custom reports, conduct in-depth analysis, and disseminate reports to management and work unit.
- Provide oversight of patent portfolios to ensure all cases are correct and align accurately within patent laws and regulations.
- Respond to requests for information from inventors, IPO, attorneys, LLNL management and government representatives.
- Perform complex and time-consuming analysis and evaluation of problems and proactively seek alternative solutions that may be available.
- Manage deadline driven workload and continually monitor and manage the desk with constantly changing priorities.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Related AA degree or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with and thorough knowledge of patent laws and regulations, intellectual property prosecution for both U.S. and foreign cases and with other intellectual property matters, including trademarks, licensing, and copyrights.
- Experience in preparation of filing patent applications, provisionals, office actions, issue fees and other actions required in compliance with U.S. Patent and Trademark Office requirements and regulations
- Experience applying patent prosecution practices, techniques, processes, systems, principles, concepts and standards.
- Experience accomplishing multiple tasks showing flexibility and managing due dates and deadlines with attention to detail, and using discretion, judgment and tact in handling intellectual property issues and portfolios.
- Experience searching standard legal databases for general information, researching and documenting patent issues and writing summaries of legal research.
- Intermediate knowledge of and experience with computers and standard office and patent software skills including docket and database management.
- Experience communicating effectively with all levels of employees and outside agencies. Proficient English skills specifically in reading, writing and editing comprehensive intellectual property documents.
- Specialized knowledge of policy and procedures in a complex legal, compliance, regulatory or other high prescribed environment to include the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP) and the CFR
- Experience managing US maintenance fees and foreign taxes
- Professional paralegal certificate approved by the American Bar Association
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.