Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Designers to participate in new and ongoing projects. You will bring engineering support to precision laser systems enabling scientific exploration of the frontiers in fusion ignition, national security, astrophysics, materials science, nuclear science, and other scientific disciplines. You will provide advanced computer aided mechanical design and drafting support, and configuration management of CAD objects to further the aims of the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate. These positions are in the Laser Science Engineering Organization (LSEO), within the Engineering Directorate. LSEO provides support to the NIF&PS Directorate and its associated Programs.
- Provide advanced Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle management (CAD/PLM) design support to engineering, scientific and technical staff.
- Process complex drawings and other technical information using database management software based on the PTC Windchill platform.
- Apply appropriate standards to develop designs and create CAD objects, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry and systems including making independent judgment and decisions under moderate technical authority.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Drafting or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle management (CAD/PLM) design, hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of the ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of mechanical design principles and ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to read and follow complex engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation and feedback skills.
- Experience with Creo Parametric 3 and PTC Windchill.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Relisted position. Originally listed on 7/8/2019. Previous candidates need not apply.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.