Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher with experience in one or more of the following areas: nuclear physics; nuclear engineering; radiation transport. We are seeking a creative and flexible individual who meets the scientific requirements and whose skills are aligned with the research mission of the National Nuclear Criticality Safety Program. The position will require interaction with professional colleagues inside and outside of the Laboratory and is located in the Nuclear Criticality Safety Division.
- Collaborate in the design, modeling, and analysis of laboratory critical and subcritical experiments.
- Collaborate in the development of radiation measurement instrumentation and measurement of radiation fields.
- Design and oversee fabrication of equipment as required.
- Develop experimental procedures as required and guide them through safety and management reviews.
- Assist in performing criticality safety evaluations of laboratory work
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Nuclear Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Experience with radiation transport methods, such as MCNP, SCALE, GEANT, COG, etc.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, proposals, publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary research teams.
- Ability to respond quickly to diverse and shifting demands.
- Ability to provide in-depth analyses and develop unique technical solutions.
- Experience in computational physics and working knowledge of one or more programming languages (FORTRAN, C++, etc).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a three-year Postdoctoral appointment. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.