Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Engineering Design Associates to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. The successful candidate will establish scope of work, provide advanced technical support in the areas of electro-mechanical design, documentation, and manufacturing. This will include solving simple to complex technical problems, regularly collaborating with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel, both internal and external to NIF. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) within the Engineering directorate.
- Apply innovative technical expertise to develop, interpret and translate complex concepts into design solutions that address requirements and constraints.
- Translate solutions to generate detailed interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Develop and provide supporting documentation for design solutions that may include calculations, analysis, schedules, costing and procedures.
- Capture design solutions using Creo Parametric 3.0, Creo Schematics 4.0, AutoCAD 2017 and GerbTool 16 design tools.
- Maintain documentation in PTC Windchill PLM CM (configuration management) system.
- Provide regular progress reporting to supervisor reflecting effort and resource needs, schedule, job scope and work assignments.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high level technical personnel to independently formulate and develop advanced technical solutions to problems and participate in or lead design reviews.
- Provide technical lead responsibilities and direction to others in reviewing and checking the accuracy of the work of others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with Creo Parametric, Creo Schematics and AutoCAD.
- Experience working in PTC Windchill PLM CM (configuration management) system.
- Experience generating complex interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings while utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving design problems.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact with multi-disciplinary teams in various roles as assignee, presenter, and mentor to others.
- Ability to multitask, with both individual effort and directing of others, with minimal supervision, and maintain a high level of accuracy.
-Ability to take independent action when warranted and act as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Working experience with Mentor Graphics.
- Working experience with LabVIEW.
- Working experience with MathCAD.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.