Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Electronics Technologist/Senior Electronics Technologist to provide general technical support to the Flash X-Ray (FXR) project. You will be responsible for the operation, performance, maintenance, and upgrades of the FXR radiographic linear accelerator (LINAC), located at the Contained Firing Facility at LLNL’s Site 300. You will perform a variety of high-voltage, high-current, and fast-switching pulse power research and development projects. Some travel may be required. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 531.2 or 531.3 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
- Provide general electronics technical support of specialized electronics and high current and voltage systems.
- Operate high voltage equipment and perform measurements on a variety of components and systems.
- Independently perform experimental tests and measurements.
- Design, diagnose, troubleshoot, test, evaluate, upgrade, and maintain moderately complex and unique high voltage, high current equipment and systems.
- Contribute to moderately complex preliminary design concepts and engineering decision process.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Interpret and analyze schematics and operating manuals.
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness, while adhering to written safety procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical support for experimental work in a specialized R&D facility and analyze complex preliminary data during design or prototyping of components, systems, or equipment
- Provide guidance to fabrication support with construction and development of specialized electronics and high current and voltage systems.
- Maintain, test, calibrate, and repair of advanced electronics circuits, instrumentation and control, as well as diagnostic systems.
- Associate’s degree in electronics technology or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and abilities in electronics technology including theory, design, and component to system level with the understanding of analog and digital electronics.
- Intermediate knowledge and experience testing high voltage, and pulse power circuitry using accepted engineering practices.
- Working knowledge of grounding for stored energy capacitor banks, floating decks, and soft grounding principles.
- Ability to solve moderately complex analytical problems.
- Experience performing unique fabrication and modification of highly specialized parts and subassemblies.
- Ability to Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex electronic problems using independent creativity and judgement.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, to achieve goals.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities in electronics technology including theory, design, and component to system level with the understanding of analog and digital electronics.
- Experience making independent, fundamental decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems.
- Advanced communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).