Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Technical Associate. You will be responsible for leading surveillance of selected components at production agencies across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE). You will work as an independent contributor and as a member of a multidisciplinary team. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 337.1 or 339.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Develop original solutions to complex technical problems, determining appropriate work methods, and establishing priorities in order to meet programmatic requirements.
- Support process and design evaluation, review, oversight, and quality policy implementation and documentation in support of various surveillance processes.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to satisfy various LLNL design agency responsibilities related to complex integration.
- Develop test parameters, troubleshoot test materials, and identify problems and provide input on solutions.
- Conduct and/or participate in meetings where concepts are determined and translated into possible courses of actions.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to technicians, making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Collaborate with scientists, technical personnel, facility engineers, facility safety personnel, and technicians inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team basis in the support of the various programs associated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 339.2 Level
- Provide highly advanced technical support to engineers/scientists in solving highly complex technical problems to various projects within the WTE Program.
- Independently lead personnel in assigning tasks and prioritizing work.
- Define, interpret, design, oversee fabrication and operation of experimental test hardware and diagnostics, utilizing extensive knowledge of mechanical or electronic equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electronic Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and significant experience in a related technical discipline.
- Knowledge and experience working with classified materials, experimental data, and documentation.
- Advanced knowledge in engineering design, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials, including theory.
- Significant experience participating in engineering testing operations, analyzing results, writing reports, and creating presentations.
- Advanced knowledge of material properties and manufacturing methods.
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team in a schedule-driven environment.
- Significant experience exercising a high degree of independent judgment and discretion in directing and guiding staff to fulfill programmatic deliverables.
- Ability to travel.
In Addition at the 339.2 Level
- Extensive experience with highly advanced fabrication and assembly techniques directly applicable to material, components, systems, and equipment.
- Extensive experience developing conceptual designs of mechanical/electronic systems, testing prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Extensive experience with CAD/computer design packages.
- Knowledge and experience in LLNL stockpile weapon systems, components, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- QA/QC documentation skills used in an engineering environment.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, or technologies associated with high explosives.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.