Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Industrial Safety Professional on Team 2 in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate to provide comprehensive industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and procedures. You will interact with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate and LLNL programs, and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide comprehensive industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and reports of occupational injury/illness for possible causes, prepare necessary documentation and recommend appropriate measures to eliminate or mitigate reoccurrence, and provide emergency response support to safety incidents on-site.
- Evaluate industrial and construction-related activities; conduct health and safety (H&S) evaluations and inspections of buildings, facilities, equipment and apparatus to identify H&S related hazards/deficiencies and provide program management with recommendations to resolve safety-related issues.
- Review results of H&S compliance audits and inspections with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to moderately complex safety-related problems.
- Write and review technical reports and review and evaluate new H&S standards, procedures, drawings, and diagrams for conformance to DOE standards and other applicable requirements; develop and present safety courses in IS or related topics.
- Review Facility Safety Plans, Integrated Work Sheets, Safety Analysis Reports, Engineering Designs, subcontractor H&S submittals and other technical documents in collaboration with program management; develop a Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for specific areas of coverage using the generic DAP provided by the IS sections. Satisfactorily complete the Discipline qualification plan requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Provide advanced industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to complex safety-related problems.
- Mentor less experienced H&S personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific, technical or health and safety related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in construction safety, material handling, electrical safety, working at elevated heights, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, laboratory research as well as related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Experience preparing safety plans and technical reports (e.g., FSPs, SARs, DAPs); conducting safety audits and inspections, and successfully working potential compliance issues with program customers, and external inspectors and regulators.
- Experience providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards relating to industrial safety.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in construction safety, material handling, electrical safety, working at elevated heights, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, laboratory research, and occupational H&S with advanced level of knowledge of related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex health and safety problems.
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP).
- Knowledge of DOE Orders.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.