Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Business Operations Specialist 3 to manage administrative functions within the Design Physics Division (DPD) and Weapon Physics Design (WPD) Program. As part of the management team, you will participate in business, workforce and operations; and will implement administrative policies and procedures. You will have oversight responsibility for administrative staffing, hiring, performance appraisals, staff relations, training, security, safety and provide leadership to a team of non-exempt employees. This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement processes, procedures, and systems to streamline the duties for the administrative staff.
- Serve as point of contact, assessing, implementing and executing DP Division activities relating to administrative staffing, hiring, compensation, staff relations, conflict management, property, procurement and security.
- Serve as an advisor to the Personnel and Program Administrator and implement changes. Assess in the adherence to administrative and operational strategies, objectives and deliverables of the organization.
- Interpret and advise on personnel laws, regulations and guidelines and ensure compliance.
- Manage administrative staff and manage the interview and selection of personnel. Supervise exempt administrative staff including all supervisory responsibilities; provide guidance in career development, training, partner with management to ensure consistent oversight and management of support staff.
- Manage the performance management process for the division, to include performance appraisals, ranking, salary management and directorate merge ranking.
- Research and analyze business, operational, and organizational issues and problems; prepare reports for management's use and decision making. Prepare and coordinate responses to requests from organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Manage department wide training and development, coaching and succession planning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field, or equivalent combination of significant experience and education in a business, operational and/or organizational area.
- Supervisory experience with demonstrated leadership and team building skills to effectively develop, mentor, and manage a strong administrative support team.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience managing recruitment and hiring practices, approving job listings, hire packages, and personnel actions, and interpreting and applying policies and procedures and understanding of HR compliance requirements for hiring FLSA, ADA, EEO, etc.
- Experience with performance management, ranking, goal setting, and/or salary management.
- Advanced problem solving, analytical and organizational skills with the ability to anticipate, identify and resolve complex issues in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience exercising a high degree of discretion, mature judgment, and tact in handling sensitive and confidential issues with a high consequence of error.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively interact with all levels of personnel internal and external to LLNL, including advanced skills to explain, present, direct, negotiate, and influence others.
- Advanced skills with computers and associated software (word processing, spreadsheets, and databases).
- Broad knowledge and understanding of State and Federal HR compliance requirements for hiring, FLSA, ADA, and EEO.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.