Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Fabrication Technician/Senior Fabrication Technician on the Radio/Video Installation Team. You will work as part of a dynamic and diverse team to provide fabrication support to a wide variety of Laboratory customers including the Director’s Office, Safeguards and Security, Emergency Operations Center (EOC), Laser Programs, Site 300, and the Lawrence Livermore Television Network (LLTN). You will be required to occasionally work overtime and do some domestic travel. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 532.1 or 532.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide basic electronic installation, fabrication, and maintenance support of wireless communications and video applications throughout the Laboratory and Site 300.
- Manufacture cables using standard cable crimpers and hand tools.
- Install, repair, and maintain electronic and communication systems in vehicles.
- Provide basic radio and video support to LLNL programs and projects to install, fabricate, and assemble various systems.
- Install cable trays and mounting hardware as required using hand and power tools.
- Work from sketches, drawings, electronic schematics, and verbal or written instructions.
- Provide customer support using and interfacing with other members of a small service-oriented group utilizing effective communication skills and effectively interface with other members of a small service-oriented group to fulfill the customer’s needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 532.2 Level
- Provide design and update details and recommend modifications to moderately complex engineering designs.
- Log and report activities and tasks as required using work order system.
- Provide general radio and video support to LLNL programs and moderately complex projects to install, evaluate, and test various systems.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Mechanical or Manufacturing Technology or related technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Basic knowledge of and ability to work from verbal and written instructions, sketches, drawings, prints, and electronic schematics under close supervision.
- Ability to effectively use basic machine and hand tools as well as test and measurement equipment.
- Basic technical skills in cable/chassis fabrication technology and standards.
- Knowledge of basic radio and video transmission systems.
- Experience working in a customer service/field support environment.
- Experience working at heights with man-lifts and on communication towers up to 300 feet.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities
- Ability to work overtime and to travel when needed.
In Addition, at the 532.2 Level
- Intermediate knowledge of radio and video transmission systems.
- Experience working independently on moderately complex technical tasks that are well understood with limited guidance.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Knowledge of RF and fiber optic networks and CATV delivery systems.
- Knowledge or experience with data communications.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.