Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) Analyst. You will develop and integrate GIS and data analysis tools, addressing operational system applications, while working with members of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of scientists, computer scientists, engineers, and Information Technology (IT) staff. Areas of research include, but are not limited to, Facility Infrastructure, Emergency Management, Personnel and Site Security, Energy and Environmental. This position is in the Enterprise Application Services (EAS) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Facilitate information sharing, analysis, and decision making through a geographic information system (GIS). Present work and findings internally and externally of LLNL.
- Perform geographic and non-geographic data manipulation, management and analysis, cartography, and develop/use automated GIS processes using a variety of software environments.
- Create online mapping applications and tooling based on customer requirements.
- Revise existing GIS layers and create new layers following established standards and procedures.
- Correct geospatial location of features based on aerial photography or topography.
- Performs field data collection using prescribed technology, methodology and specifications.
- Digitize imagery to create maps and 3D renderings of areas of interest.
- Work in a production-orientated environment as part of a team as well as collaborate with various research groups throughout LLNL and other institutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geophysics, Geospatial/Land/Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad, in-depth knowledge and experience working with a variety of spatial datasets to include, but not limited to, road networks, land use, landcover, points of interest, buildings, transit, system data, hydrological networks, elevation/terrain (DSMs, DTMs, etc), and multi-source imagery
- Experience with ESRI Enterprise GIS (ArcGIS server, ArcGIS Portal, SDE, and WebServices)
- Experience in analytics and work-flow creation processes using R, FME, and SQL
- Experience with CAD platforms and data exchange between CAD and GIS environments
- Strong conceptual and creative problem-solving skills to perform complex data analysis; ability to work with considerable ambiguity; ability to learn new and complex concepts quickly
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and present technical information to senior management and sponsors.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with Lidar and aerial imagery
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.