Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Conduct beta-decay spectroscopy experiments using trapped ions at accelerator-based facilities.
- Develop the detailed simulations and data-analysis approaches needed to interpret the results of experiments.
- Participate in the overall program of performing precision studies of beta decay using ion traps.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future nuclear physics experiments.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in a nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, nuclear engineering, nuclear chemistry or related field.
- Knowledge of nuclear decay spectroscopy and/or ion traps.
- Programming experience in C++ and/or other programming languages.
- Experience performing complex analyses using ROOT and GEANT4, or similar programs.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in physics or a related field.
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a focused team.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a 2 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.