Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for the Laboratory Export Control Officer in the Office of Classification and Export Control (OCEC) of the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate. The Laboratory Export Control Officer (ECO) is responsible for the development, implementation and administration of the Laboratory’s Export Control compliance program. The ECO is the primary point of contact for internal and external inquiries regarding Export Control, and for the oversight and monitoring of export control processes to promote and facilitate compliance with both federal laws and regulations and LLNL policies and procedures. The ECO will provide expert regulatory leadership to the Export Control (EC) advisers and Laboratory personnel. In addition, this position assumes the risk and leadership role of LLNL’s Empowered Official, acting on behalf of LLNS, LLC on all export licensing matters relating to the Department of State.
- Maintain proficiency in the regulatory requirements of the Department of Commerce/Bureau of Industry and Security (DOC/BIS), the Department of State/Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DOS/DDTC), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the Department of Energy (DOE), the DOE/National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and the Department of Treasury/Office of Foreign Assets Control (DOT/OFAC).
- Maintain oversight of Export Control reviews performed on foreign visits and assignments, international shipments, foreign travel, information management review and release for documents and software, records of invention, patents, federal business opportunities, nondisclosure agreements, the various LLNL business partnerships with the federal government and industry, and the final disposition of obsolete hardware.
- Provide Lab-wide and program-specific training on Export Control requirements. Educate LLNL personnel and programs on the risks and costs of noncompliance of EC regulations as they apply to their hardware, material, software and technology/technical data.
- Maintain all regulatory recordkeeping requirements as set forth by each USG jurisdictional agency.
- Serve as LLNL’s Empowered Official, as defined under 22 CFR Part 120.25.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, International Trade, Law, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge of U.S. Export Control regulations and export licensing policies and practices of all USG jurisdictional agencies.
- Proficiency in Export IT Licensing applications, including DTrade and SNAP-R.
- Advanced problem solving, analytical, technical, organizational, and management skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate on matters of significance to the organization, advise, and influence all levels of management. High degree of integrity, maturity, discretion and judgement.
- Strong organizational skills with extensive experience interacting effectively and at high levels with internal and external constituencies and organizations such as DOS/DDTC, DOE, NNSA, NRC, DOC/BIS, and DOT/OFAC.
- Ability to interpret, understand and provide guidance to staff on complex regulatory documents and compliance requirements.
- Familiarity with LLNL’s missions, programs, and culture.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.