Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Accounting Assistant 4 to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment. Under minimal supervision you will perform advanced and complex accounting and payroll accounting tasks, solve problems of a broad scope and complexity and develop and implement new techniques and procedures. This position is in the Payroll, Travel Accounting & Payable Services Division of the Finance Department within the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO).
- Perform complex Payroll processing tasks through the People Soft 9.2 system or a similar payroll software
- Interpret and apply exceptional and complex procedures within the Payroll system, provide guidance regarding payroll accounting policies and procedures and problem resolution assistance to LLNL organizations.
- Independently analyze and resolve complex problems on payroll-related matters including: payroll deductions, direct deposits and payments, retirement contribution forms, tax forms, Personnel Action Form (PAF) status, and paycheck inquiries
- Consult with and advise department timekeepers, administrators, resource analysts, and the HR department, providing guidance and policy interpretation to ensure proper processing of employee earnings, deductions, and leave.
- Scan and index payroll documents using electronic workflow and storage system.
- Provide assistance to other members of the Benefits Accounting group.
- May assist the Financial Services Help Desk.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting theory, policies, procedures, and regulations, as well as knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Experience reconciling balance sheet accounts, preparing complex journal entries and financial reports.
- Experience using People Soft 9.2 or other payroll applications and advanced knowledge and experience with computer-based spreadsheets, report generated applications and communication tools (e.g., Microsoft Suite, Outlook, Service Now).
- Extensive direct payroll processing experience, including calculating Federal and State tax withholding taxes, calculation of FLSA rates, and following withholding orders and garnishments for wages and experience interpreting and applying financial policy and procedures, including State and Federal policies, procedures and regulations and experience in applying and ensuring internal controls are followed.
- Advanced organizational skills to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions, while providing a high level of customer service and demonstrated advanced problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently solve problems of broad scope and complexity.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to perform as a team member while maintaining a heavy workload.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines and work effectively under time constraints.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work with all levels of personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory including experience providing a high level of customer service while maintaining effective working relationships with clients, co-workers and Laboratory service units.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.