Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for an Electrician ll. You will perform a variety of specialized electrical trade functions in the installation, maintenance, and repair of equipment for the distribution and utilization of electrical energy. Work is performed on building power systems, lighting systems, plant electrical equipment, and research equipment. This position is in the Maintenance Production Division of the Facilities & Infrastructure Department. This position may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Lay out and install electrical devices, power distribution equipment, and wiring systems in accordance with national, local, and LLNL safety codes and practices.
- Test, troubleshoot, and repair malfunctioning systems, apparatus, or components by using electrical test equipment (voltmeters, ohmmeters, insulation testers, etc.) and print reading skills.
- Follow all national, local, and Laboratory safety procedures and policies including lockout/tagout (LOTO), selecting and using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively participating in Laboratory work planning and control process.
- Document and communicate results of preventive maintenance tasks including visual inspections, defect detection, hazard identification, and code compliance.
- Analyze data and prepares reports required for managing projects, work orders, and preventive maintenance records.
- Provide effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Complete preventative maintenance requests, deficiency reports, and work orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent, and completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrician trade; with a valid State of California General Electrician License and a valid California Class C Driver’s License. Ability to work scheduled and emergency overtime.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform job planning, create a material list, draw a diagrammatic sketch of an electrical installation and read blueprints, electrical schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Intermediate to advanced journey level skills and knowledge in the electrician trade including proficiency in the use of all tools of the trade, and proficiency in the layout and installation of conduit systems.
- Experience with troubleshooting, testing, or commissioning electrical equipment and installations. Proficient in the use of specialized test equipment.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of NFPA 70 National Electrical Code (NEC) and applicable ES&H laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of simple and complex lockout/tagout, electrical safe work practices, and the selection and use of PPE.
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively in writing and verbally with technical, administrative, and management personnel and work effectively independently or as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and associated software to prepare logs and reports, send and receive e-mails, perform computer-based training, and timekeeping entry.
- Ability to lead other workers on projects involving multiple electrical workers or other crafts.
- Experience with maintenance and reliability standards and concepts such as root cause analysis, reliability centered maintenance, continuous improvement, NFPA 70B and ANSI/NETA testing specifications.
- Knowledge of common electrical devices and their ratings and applications.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.