Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Enterprise Storage Administrator. You will provide technical computer support for data storage systems while working in a challenging, rapidly changing, and team-oriented environment. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computing Directorate matrixed to the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Controls and Information Systems (CIS) organization.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Monitor the operations of the NetApp storage environments.
- Support development and maintenance of storage and backup configurations aiming to reduce the effort needed to deploy and maintain systems.
- Investigate and deploy storage and backup monitoring and management tools configuring them for NIF’s environment.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge, while adhering to security standards as implemented by the organization.
- Perform installations, configurations, upgrades and ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual environments, installation of software releases, patches of the operation system and utilities, and third-party products.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve moderately complex system and network-related problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Customize or create monitoring and management tools for NIF-specific needs.
- Implement advanced designs and application deployment strategies, produced in collaboration with data scientists and infrastructure architects in a heterogeneous environment of desktop clients, servers, and cloud computing platforms.
- Manage Cloud Computing platforms using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer, Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience with Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Storage Area Network (SAN) and backup system design, implementation, and operation.
- Comprehensive knowledge with a variety of server I/O interfaces including 10 GigE, Fiber Channel, iSCSI.
- Broad experience in supporting a mixed Linux/Windows environment.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, including schedule-driven product deliveries and off-hours infrastructure upgrades.
- Experience with moderately complex troubleshooting, including the ability to troubleshoot storage capacity/performance problems and provide proposed solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to multi-task.- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems and directing complex troubleshooting activities.
- Significant experience serving as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, driving projects to closure on time and on budget, and mentoring junior employees in technical areas.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information to all levels of personnel.
- Knowledge of virtualization technology
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.