Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Database Application Developer for the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most energetic laser in the world. You will provide stewardship and management of critical data required to support the Integrated Computer Control System (ICCS), a distributed data driven system that requires detailed, customized support for multiple environments. This position is in the NIF Computing Applications (NIFC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Develop and deploy complex SQL and PL/SQL scripts and procedures to support ongoing data management in multiple test and production environments.
- Validate and verify software release package prior to deployment into production database environment.
- Deploy database releases and provide advanced troubleshooting support throughout the release process and online testing. This may include occasionally working off-normal hours as needed to support programmatic goals and schedules.
- Develop queries to satisfy ad hoc data requests to support control system users.
- Develop web-based applications to support data interaction and reporting.
- Develop data management tools using Java.
- Exercise independent judgement to define, develop, and implement original solutions to complex problems of a broad and diverse scope at the team, directorate, or institutional level.
- Provide original solutions to complex problems with the ability to advise and recommend advanced technical approaches and solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience with Oracle enterprise database technology such as data management, data integration, SQL, PL/SQL, and broad experience in object-oriented design and development using Java.
- Comprehensive, in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with data analysis, data management approaches, and relational databases.
- Ability to analyze complex technical issues, problem solve, decision-making skills and develop effective solutions to complex problems.
- Attention to detail in identification of issues/errors and handling multiple priorities and tasks.
- Broad knowledge of and experience with supporting an enterprise-scale production application.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Proficient experience in the design and development of production quality software solutions and ability to effectively manage schedule and provide support for software releases to multiple environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.