Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Rigger/Crane Operator. You will perform advanced and specialized journey level rigging services to include rigging, crane operation, lifting and moving machinery, scientific apparatus and structure components. This position is in the Maintenance Division of the Facilities & Infrastructure Department.
- Perform journey-level Rigger and Crane Operator duties for the Laboratory facilities.
- Rig, hoist and move equipment or other materials utilizing rigging tools, overhead and mobile cranes, hoists and PITs, motor vehicles and commercial tractor trailers/trucks.
- Utilize all standard tools of the rigger trade including hand tools, slings, shackles, jacks, forklifts, and cranes.
- Perform load evaluations, estimate weights, locate center of gravity, and lifting points.
- Prepare standard reports including daily equipment and rigging inspection report, and deficiency forms. Uses computers and associated software.
- Perform all assignment in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience including completion of apprenticeship program in the rigger trade or equivalent experience.
- Intermediate to advanced journey-level skills, knowledge and abilities in the professional rigger trade; Professional Rigger, Mobile Crane Operator and Inspector per OSHA requirements ASME B30.
- Proficiency in the use of hand tools, power tools, and equipment (forklifts and cranes) of the professional Rigger trade.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of and experience in rigging practices, hardware, load angels, calculations, boom angles, and radius.
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, ES&H and OSHA laws and regulations.
- Effective customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member, interfacing well with others.
- Basic computer skills necessary to communicate via email, report time and complete web-based training, standard forms, reports and complete work orders on a mobile platform.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Class A California Driver’s License.
- Valid NCCO Certified Mobile Crane Operator Certificate and ability to obtain and maintain Overhead Crane Operator Certificate.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Relisted position to update certification requirements. Originally listed on 11/1/19. Previous candidates need not reapply. This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.