Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Electrician l/Battery Technician. You will perform a variety of journey-level maintenance trade functions in the installation, maintenance, and repair of battery systems and uninterruptable power supplies. You will interact with clients, supervisors, maintenance/building coordinators, inspectors, Environmental Safety and Health technicians, coworkers, and other craft personnel. This position is in the Maintenance Production Division of the Facilities & Infrastructure Department. This position may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Perform journey-level electrical work including installation, maintenance, operations, repair, replacement, testing and troubleshooting of facility battery systems and uninterruptable power supplies.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance, and repair of battery systems as requested by predicted maintenance program.
- Handle, store, and dispose of hazardous and toxic materials (acid, lead, and batteries).
- Plan and layout installation of Multi-Battery systems by assembling battery racks; installing battery chargers, inverters and mounting battery cells; and connecting multi-battery systems.
- Provide effective customer service and communication necessary to interact with others.
- Analyze data and prepare standard reports, including equipment inventory, monthly vehicle maintenance, and mileage reports.
- Responsible and accountable for performing tasks in accordance with Environmental Safety & Health (ES&H) regulations and procedures, fulfills all Integrated Safety, Security, and Property Management responsibilities as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience and training in battery maintenance.
- Completion of apprenticeship program in the electrician trade or equivalent journey-level work experience and training in battery maintenance.
- Basic journey-level skills, knowledge, and abilities in the electrician trade including electrical codes and ES&H regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience in the testing, installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of electrical multi-battery systems including applicable codes to troubleshoot systems.
- Proficient in use of all hand tools and power tools of the trade. Experience using multimeters and other test equipment necessary to maintain, test and repair battery systems.
- Effective customer service and communication skills necessary to interface well with others, as well as the ability to work independently or as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of computers necessary to complete time keeping, web-based training and work control documents.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver’s License.
- California State Electrical certification.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.