Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have several openings for Security Police Officers (SPOs) in the Protective Force Division within the Security Organization. You will be responsible for protecting the Department of Energy's (DOE's) security interests and property from theft, vandalism, illegal entry, and other acts that may adversely impact national security or the health and safety of the Laboratory's employees. Assignments may be at either Livermore or Site 300 during day, swing, or owl shifts, and may require overtime and holiday work. The SPOs are represented under the Security Police Officers Association (SPOA) Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Provide access control operations at fixed posts at the Laboratory’s perimeter entry/exit points.
- Patrol premises by vehicle/foot to ensure doors, windows, and gates are secure and to check facilities for reportable emergencies and hazards.
- Inspect/search buildings, vehicles, and persons for contraband and illegal items using approved search techniques.
- Respond to security and fire alarms and emergency incidents.
- Write detailed reports describing incidents, emergencies, damage, theft, or unusual circumstances.
- Escort and observe persons/property to protect against thefts, irregularities, and unauthorized entry.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with applicable DOE and LLNL security procedures.
- Maintain annual training requirements developed by the SO Training Group under the general guidelines of DOE orders and Federal regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalency, and related experience in security, military or law enforcement.
- Ability to successfully complete and maintain a physical fitness standard consisting of a one-half mile run in 4 minutes and 40 seconds and a prone-to-running 40 yard dash in 8.5 seconds; a comprehensive medical examination, including a multi-stage cardiovascular assessment; a psychological evaluation; and a drug test.
- Ability to successfully complete a basic training course designed to provide the minimum level of skills and knowledge to competently perform all tasks associated with the SPO duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to attain and maintain qualifications with site-approved weapons, techniques, and equipment, which may be necessary either to protect the site, or to effectively engage and neutralize an adversary.
- Ability to secure and maintain, at a minimum, a DOE Q clearance.
- Experience communicating effectively, verbally and in writing with clarity and accuracy; to comprehend written instructions; to exhibit patience, tact and courtesy in dealing with people from diverse backgrounds to perform effectively in stressful situations; and to interact with a large population consisting of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds.
- Familiarity with computer skills and basic software applications such as Microsoft Word.
- Ability to work under extreme outdoor weather conditions (e.g., hot/cold, wet/dry). Engage in frequent activities such as prolonged standing and sitting, running, climbing, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, crawling, twisting torso, reaching overhead, pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying 51+ pounds, other vigorous exercise, and execution of weaponless defense techniques. Capability to use both hands, arms, legs, feet, and wearing protective equipment such as: helmet, face shield, respirator, safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, protective boots and body armor. Possess good peripheral, depth, and binocular vision as well as color discrimination. Hearing ability to discriminate speak and high-pitched sound.
- Current DOE certification in the Basic Security Police Officer Training (BSPOT) program; current DOE weapons qualification with a handgun.
- Knowledge of the Laboratory sites and areas.
- Familiarity with general physical security/force protection principles.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.