Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Semiconductor and Microfabrication Post College Appointees. You will work under the guidance of staff members to execute design, fabrication, and testing of semiconductor devices. Project opportunities may include other additional research projects areas with potentially different technical goals and microphotonics and microelectromechanical systems. These positions are in the MEMS, Electronics, and Photonics Technologies Group of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Conduct research and development of semiconductor devices.
- Perform microfabrication of devices comprised of a variety of semiconductors and related materials.
- Design microfabrication processes and keep detailed records.
- Conduct electrical and analytical testing of materials and devices.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from experiments.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: microfabrication, semiconductor devices, electrical characterization, and microscopy.
- Broad general background Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or Materials Science and Engineering demonstrated by coursework, training, and/or work experience.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, creativity, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience with operation of lasers and optics.
- Experience with simulation tools such as COMSOL and Silvaco.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.