Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Technical Coordinator. Under general supervision, you will be responsible to provide general technical and administrative support for the acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware for various projects. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 538.2 or 538.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide general coordination and support for multiple technical projects and/or activities with frequently changing requirements and priorities.
- Maintain appropriate records and summaries to support project needs. Provide award/delivery status to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Collaborate with and provide technical support to designers, technicians, machinists, engineers, internal organizations, outside suppliers, and vendors on multiple large and small moderately complex projects, sometimes involving hazardous materials.
- Support acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware activities for DTED, WCI, and Work for Others, including Site 300 and other off-site locations.
- Support Designers and Engineers in reviewing drawings and electrical schematics and other related technical information while applying appropriate standards, procedures, and techniques to screen parts sources. Review vendor proposed fabrication processes, pricing, and delivery schedules.
- Process general internal fabrication packages through LLNL fabrication facilities.
- Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services requiring in-depth knowledge of purchasing requirements and regulations.
- Strictly adhere to laboratory safety and security guidelines, and regulations, and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 538.3 Level
- Prepare technical procurement packages for mechanical fabrications including specifications and statements of work, as well as quality assurance and inspection requirements.
- Monitor procurement deliverables and provide technical interface between LLNL and supplier, e.g. on time deliverables, milestone reviews, and technical resolutions during processing.
- Make independent decisions regarding fabrication alternatives, supplier selections and substitute hardware and materials using LLNL guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in customer service or support organization and proven ability to interact with a diverse and demanding customer base.
- Experience working independently and as a team member with demonstrated effective problem-solving skills. Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting specific programmatic technical and reporting requirements.
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of conventional manufacturing and fabrication techniques, general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of office computer software, common operating systems, and common word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Ability to acquire and maintain Technical Release Representative (TRR) certification.
In Addition at the 538.3 Level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and demonstrated abilities in procurement and coordination of materials and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of decision making for fabrication alternatives, supplies selections and materials.
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Project to construct accurate budget estimates and schedules.
- High level understanding of machine tool technology.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.