Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division within the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral researcher in the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Group. You will primarily be developing data analysis techniques and supporting data collection with the fission Time Projection Chamber experiment. You will be part of a team with a broad range of experience and have ample opportunity to develop relationships with other experimental programs and researchers across the laboratory. This position is in the Nuclear and Particle Physics Group within the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Perform analysis of experimental data obtained with the fissionTPC.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future fissionTPC experiments.
- Provide support for fissionTPC experimental campaigns at neutron beam facilities.
- Develop and help maintain C++/ROOT analysis framework
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent but complementary research and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in nuclear physics, particle physics, or related field.
- Programming experience in C++ and/or other programming languages.
- Experience with complex data analysis and high-performance computing.
- Experience performing analysis using ROOT and Geant4.
- Knowledge of radiation detection. Experience with gaseous detectors and time projection chambers is desirable.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in physics or a related field.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a 2 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.