Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on a project using high-speed atomic force microscopy to study real time interactions of proteins, DNA, lipid membranes and other biological entities. A successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary team that works on the intersection of biophysics and materials science, and would be required to interact closely with collaborating research groups at other institutions. This position is in the Nanoscale Integration Science Group of the Materials Science Division.
- Conduct research in biophysics, bioengineering, materials science, or related fields.
- Conduct work with proteins, DNA, and synthetic membrane systems.
- Design and develop research projects focused on addressing defined problems.
- Develop and implement protocols for surface immobilization of proteins and protein-DNA complexes.
- Present formal and informal overviews of progress in experimental work at weekly meetings.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols, an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook including complete records of experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Biophysics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science or related field.
- Experience with high-speed atomic force microscopy imaging.
- Experience working on basic research projects and the ability to understand and analyze experimental results.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience with high-speed atomic force microscopy measurements.
- Experience with preparation and characterization of lipid bilayer.
- Experience with protein expression and purification.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: Text revised effective 3/4/2020.
Relisted position. Originally listed on 11/14/2019. Previous candidates need not reapply.
This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.